Saturday, May 2, 2009

phonics...it works!

We went to Library this evening after my dinner. While mummy was browsing suitable books for me to read, I took out books on the shelf. Daddy whispering to mummy that I am trying to pronounce the word on the title book. Mummy stood next to me and heard me saying the title book "Peedie" though not quite accurate. To prove them again, daddy pointed to the book next it and asked what is the word on the book title "Ollie" and I tried to pronounce it. Both mum & dad were stunned that I try to pronounce the word though they have not taught me. It all thanks to ...PHONICS!...which gives me idea how to pronounce it. I can pronounce words accurately with phonics ending with "k", "g", "t", "ch"....like the word "cook " (emphasis the ending 'k" sound), "cat" (emphasis the ending "t" sound, "touch" (emphasis the ending "ch" sound).

Mummy spoke : I read that it is not advisable to teach tots at young age with phonics as it will confuse them with whole words but judging from my girl's action, this proves to be wrong! I am glad I have started to let her listen to phonics cd as young as when she was about 7-8 months old and she loves the song very much! Previously, she tried to say the word "dolphin" with less accuracy and I will tell her that dolphin starts with "d" for "der der der"....dolphin. And now she can say it quite clearly.

No comments: